Water for Fodder

Carryover Rule Information


Water for Fodder Program Round 1 – Arrangements to support carryover restriction waiver

To support the decision made by the Hon Keith Pitt MP, Minister for Resources, Water and Northern Australia, to lift carryover restrictions, the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment has put in place arrangements to allow the temporary transfer of water to another account for the sole purpose of carrying over the water into the 2020-21 water year.

We understand that some applicants are able to carryover water on their water allocation account, while other applicants hold accounts that do not meet the requirements for carryover. To ensure this water is able to be used in the 2020-21 water year by those who are unable to carryover water on their account, we have permitted the temporary transfer of water to another account for the purpose of carryover.

Applicants seeking to temporarily transfer some or all of their water onto another water account should follow these two steps:

  1. Before 30 June 2020, provide a copy of your temporary transfer arrangement to the Department by email (waterforfodder@agriculture.gov.au). This might be an agreement or contract provided to you by a Water Broker, or in less formal arrangements, may be a letter signed by the holder of the account you are temporarily transferring your water to, and yourself, that sets out your arrangement.
  2. Before 31 July 2020, and after the temporary transfer has occurred, provide a copy of your water allocation account statement to the Department by email. This statement must show the water leaving your allocation account, and returning to the account in line with your agreement. We expect that applicants return their water to the nominated account under the program as soon as practical after the 2020-21 water year opens.

Applicants are responsible for arranging the temporary transfer and will also bear the cost of any fees and charges associated with the arrangement.

You still must use your water to grow fodder, and cannot permanently move the allocation to a different account that you did not make the application with, or sell it. The water must be used in full by the end of 2020-21 water year.